Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Never Give Up: EVER

Well I'm back to writing again because I need an escape from the 1500 word papers and boring educational books. As many of you know, this is the time of the semester when it's easy to lose focus, but luckily I'm not facing too many distractions so I'll use this as one. Recently I tried out for the Texas Tech football team again and like last semester I wasn't successful. Last semester I got the "You're good, but we just don't need you" email and it hurt pretty bad even though it was better than being told you're simply not good enough. I was invited to come in the spring after my tryout, but then Coach T and staff hit the high road (or low road) and that was it. Not only did it stun the players, but the guys in my shoes were lost too because it seemed like everything was falling into place. I was so ready to come in and now it looked like I was back at square one.

This time around though things were different. Much different. After not making the cut in the 6:00 am tryout, I simply thought I wasn't good enough by Coach Kliff's standards. I was pretty bummed out, hated the program, and thought that it was time to move on. I love Tech and I bleed red and black like the rest of you, but I also came here chasing a dream.  This wasn't something I wanted to end with a couple of bad tries (even though many would say give up after two tryouts). So I called TCU and boy their offer to be on the team sounded extremely good! I loved the idea of being closer to home and getting to see my family all the time; especially my little two year old brother. At the time anything was sounding better than being a Tech and dealing with the politics of football when I knew in my heart, I could be great.

I debated over the issue a thousand times and weighed all of my options. Long story somewhat short, I decided that I would stay at Tech and continue to do tryouts until they let me on (even out of pity). Most guys that I know called it quits after having their dreams crushed this second time around. Me on the other, I'm stubborn, and I don't give up easily at all. I declared that until God himself comes down from Heaven and says give up this dream, I'm fighting for it. I emailed coach Kliff, got on the phone with Coach Wes (track and field) and well.... here's what happened:


I'm very excited to hear this from the football coaches, but of course it's all conditional. I'm confident I will be on this team in the Fall. I cannot release information as to why because right now it's all speculation. Right now I'm going to continue training, get back into shape, and continue to stay ready. 

And as far as track and field is concerned, I have been in talks with Coach Wes. He has agreed to let me run starting next season. I would likely run the hurdles and maybe the 400. I'm not sure, but anyway I am grateful for the opportunity.

I just have to stay hungry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment