Sunday, April 21, 2013

Scouting Report



 I promised some-type of scouting report and here’s one.


Lets start with offensive line. |

I read some comments that the o-line needs some help, depth, and Kliff and staff would be smart to play true freshmen in this position in the coming Fall. Well I agree, but only to a certain extent. The o-line has improved significantly from what I can tell as far as the spring allows you to. On the flip side of that argument, I do believe neither Wally or Kliff opened the play books up as much when compared to the Midland scrimmage, but we’ll get to that in a second. The o line (in the Spring Game) did a very good job of picking up blitzes for the majority of the game. Some people say that our Quaterbacks were forced to be mobile, but I saw in many cases where they did have time and simply moved to the left or right to make a better throw into tight coverage. Outlaw and Poet may be much needed depth, but I am very sure Kliff and Hays will have these guys ready by the opening of this season. I’m not one of those,  “In Kliff I Trust” but I do have confidence in this coaching staff.

Quaterbacks and The QB Battle |

I don’t want to grill the qb’s for a poor spring game because the playbook was very limited and it showed because the defense was all over them. I saw the same plays ran over and over again, and if it wasn’t the same plays, it was the same route combination ideas. I discussed the QB battle with a friend of mine during the scrimmage, and I personally believe that QB battle going on right now is actually hurting both Brewer and Webb like it did for Ash and McCoy. The reason I say this is because I witnessed a few passes that could have been thrown deep that essentially (in D1 football) were open for at least an attempt, but instead both Brewer and Webb checked down way too quickly and ultimately threw a bad pass. Now, I do agree that the competition is making them better and I’m only forming this opinion off the spring game, but I do believe that both QB’s are probably thinking too much and are scared to make a mistake which results in some loss of big plays. It’s still very early; I know this. If I was doing a “What to take from the Spring Game” write up, this evaluation would be somewhat different. As it stands right now though, we have a long way to go before we get a starting QB. BREWER IS NOT RUNNING AWAY WITH THIS BATTLE. I know it’s peoples’ opinion, but I strongly disagree (and I have my reasons).  

Wide/Inside Receivers |

I know a few by name so lets get to it. Reginald dropped way too many passes! I think being under that big crowd rattled him for the day. Amaro played better, but not much better. He made a beast of a catch and a touchdown, but Brewer in particular, forced a lot of passes his way. Grant “The Dream” had a decent day overall. I don’t believe he’ll have as much success as everyone thinks he will have in the Big 12 this year. I’m sorry folks, but he’s no Tavon Austin, and look how people were able to lock HIM down the second part of the season. There are some variables that go along with what I just said, but that’s not important. Derrick Edwards had a great day. He’s not Eric Ward or Darrin Moore, but with some more time in the weight room he could really start to be a deep ball threat inside the 40 like Ward is and Darrin Moore was.

Running Backs

Washington sat out again which leads me to believe he is a starter in this offense because he’s not hurt. Quinton had another solid day even with the limited play call, and Kenny did good as well. #40 is a bulldozer and I like his running style; a little SEC style there for you. Overall, I can’t wait to see how this quiet position battle plays out.

D-line

I am getting a little tired from this medicine, so I’ll make it quick from here on out. The d-line didn’t get much pressure, but showed amble amounts of hustle to get to the quarterback. I don’t know many names and people in positions, but again I saw a lot of hustle.


Linebackers

Linebackers did a great job getting in coverage, dropping into zones, and swarming to the football. If I were doing grades, I would get them an A-. They need to work on better executing their blitzes, but overall great job during this game.

Secondary

These guys are playing much better, but overall I still believe these guys will be the weakness of the defense. They played very well against average wide receivers that really aren’t yet in shape in this spring game. Most of the time they were pretty much predicting routes (because of limited play call), and tackling seems to still be an issue. Tre Porter just about missed every tackle coming down hill or in the open space. I’ve made a case time and time again about Cody Davis being one hell of a player, and now my friends are starting to believe me. Cody was a great open field tackler and overall General of his defense. He will be missed immensely by the fans because I don’t think we have a safety that will be able to replicate his efficiency and effectiveness playing safety (and partial linebacker). The cornerbacks did a better job in the Tampa Two defense, so not too much criticism coming from me there. Every now and again, a wide-out simply makes a better play.




My friend Leroy and I before the game. He walked on as WR and made the team! 









No comments:

Post a Comment